Based in the Newcastle Recovery Centre, working across the Newcastle area.
The project aims to establish links between The Multiple Exclusion Team (MET) and the Recovery Centre. A volunteer would be a visible ‘face’ of recovery and introduce MET clients to the Recovery Centre.
- Develop one to one peer relationships with service users
- Work closely with professionals to assist in recovery programmes
- Develop and maintain a support system/pathways for clients who relapse
- Support clients to access relevant services
- Promote the services available
- Advocate abstinent based recovery as an achievable option for people.
- Adhere to all of Changing Lives policies and procedures including Data Protection
Skills, experience and abilities
- Applicants must be in sustained recovery (essential)
- Empathy and a calm, caring approach an understanding of substance misuse issues and their impact on people
- A non-judgmental attitude
- The ability to build trusting relationships
- The ability to work alone and as part of a team
- Excellent communication and listening skills
- Good time management and organisational skills
- Respect for confidentiality
- A commitment to supporting people in difficult circumstances
- Personal experience of recovery based services
- Willing to undertake a Peer Mentoring qualification (provided by Changing Lives)
Service operates Monday-Friday 8.30 am – 4.30 pm. Minimum commitment of 4 hours per week
To apply for this opportunity please contact Sead Masic, Changing Lives, Central Office, Unit 13, Marquis Court, Tenth Avenue West, Team Valley, Gateshead, NE11 0RU, 0191 481 3695.