Making a will is one of the most important decisions you will ever make. And it’s a lot more affordable and straightforward than you may think. A will ensures that your assets and possessions are left to those you love. It is also an opportunity to leave a gift to a charity, such as Changing Lives, and help build futures for generations to come.
Why write a will?
If you don’t write a will, your assets will be divided according to the law rather than according to your wishes.
Writing a will ensures the people you love receive the things you want them to have.
It is also an opportunity to leave a final gift to your chosen charities.
A gift in your will can change lives
A gift in your will – of whatever size – can leave a lasting legacy.
Your gift can help future generations improve their lives and secure a better future for their families.
Each year, supporters like you help over 16,000 people through their most difficult times.
You can leave a legacy that helps people take their first steps to:
- secure a home
- overcome addiction
- enter the workplace
- escape an abusive relationship
- build confidence and skills to rebuild their lives
How to leave a gift in your will
I don’t have a will yet
Making a will is fairly straightforward, although it is best to get help from a solicitor
- Read our Will Writing Checklist
- Make an appointment with a solicitor to draw up your will
- If you need to find a solicitor, the Law Society is a good place to start
- We also have a Handy Guide To Legal Terms that may help
For further information, see the government website: www.gov.uk/make-will
I already have a will
- Make sure it is up to date (having an out of date will can be worse than not having one at all)
- If would like to add a gift for Changing Lives you need to add a codicil
- A codicil is a straightforward document that allows you to make amendments to an existing will instead of completely re-writing it
- Find out more about adding a codicil on the Money Advice Service website
You may also be interested in:
- Contact us if you have any questions about adding a gift to Changing Lives to your will
- Read more about how you can change lives with a gift in your will