We need volunteers with the Homeless Response Service, supporting individuals out in the community, making referrals and contacting private landlords. Supporting workers to actively engage individuals to address their issues in their own homes and updating systems.
- To support the team by working with homeless service users who are sleeping rough across the city
- To signpost individuals to make best use of local resources and amenities, to meet their health and welfare needs
- Look for appropriate accommodation
- To have a coffee, chat, food with individuals and gain a deeper understanding of their issues.
- Attend appropriate appointments with individuals such as benefits, hospital, GP, etc.
- Complete all relevant paperwork required
- Liaise with named Assertive Outreach worker on a daily basis
- Possibly take part in organised rough sleeper count – on rare occasions during the winter months
Skills, experience and abilities
- A caring, sympathetic, sensitive manner and a non-judgemental approach
- Ability to remain impartial and offer all different types of recovery support to people
- Understanding of the complexities some of the individuals may face
- Ability to motivate and empower individuals
- Good communication and listening skills
- Willingness to attend regular supervision
- Ability to respect and maintain confidentiality
- Ability to manage appropriate boundaries in the relationship
- Reliable, organised, consistent, and have an ability to handle a level of stress
Monday to Friday between 9.00 – 16:30 with some early morning outreach.
To apply for this opportunity please contact Sead Masic, Changing Lives, Central Office, Unit D13, Marquis Court, 10th Avenue West, Team Valley, Gateshead, NE11 0RU. Email : email@example.com