We are looking for a volunteer to hold woodworking workshops for residents, using the variety of tools available at our project, to up-cycle furniture and to create new items. By helping people we support to safely acquire woodwork skills and knowledge, they can increase their opportunities for paid and voluntary work in the community.
- Support residents to develop their confidence in woodworking
- Organise sessions in wood recycling, furniture restoration and creating a range of timber products
- Supervise people of varying abilities, both one to one and in small groups
- Provide instruction and guidance rather than hands on support wherever possible, so that residents have the opportunity to do as much as they possibly can for themselves
- Ensure all aspects of health and safety are followed
Skills, experience and abilities
- A keen interest in woodwork
- Experience and knowledge of using a range of woodworking tools
- Friendly, flexible, reliable, with a sense of humour
- Supportive, enthusiastic, honest and committed
- Able to develop good working relationships and communicate effectively
- Able to work safely and to not endanger yourself or others, following health and safety requirements to maintain a hazard free working environment
- Able to complete risk assessments with support of our H&S officer
- Able to work in a team with people of wide ranging ages and abilities
- A commitment to the aims and principles of Changing Lives, including a commitment to confidentiality and maintaining professional boundaries
Project is open 7 days per week. Volunteering days and hours to be agreed at informal chat
Other relevant information
Volunteers over the age of 18 years. Appointment subject to satisfactory DBS check.
For more information, please contact Sharon Brown, E: email@example.com T: 0191 371 0541.
To apply please contact Sead Masic, Changing Lives, Unit D13, Marquis Court, 10th Avenue West, Team Valley, Gateshead, NE11 0RU. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org