We are looking for a volunteer to hold workshops for people we support, using the variety of tools available at our project, to upcycle furniture and to create new items. By helping people we support to safely acquire woodwork skills and knowledge, they can increase their opportunities for paid and voluntary work in the community.
- Support clients to develop their skills and confidence in furniture restoration
- Organise sessions in wood recycling, furniture restoration and creating a range of timber products
- Supervise people of varying abilities, both one to one and in small groups
- Provide instruction and guidance rather than hands on support wherever possible, so that clients have the opportunity to do as much as they possibly can for themselves
- Ensure all aspects of health and safety are followed
Skills, experience and abilities
- A keen interest in woodwork
- Experience and knowledge of using a range of woodworking tools
- Friendly, flexible, reliable, with a sense of humour
- Supportive, enthusiastic, honest and committed
- Able to develop good working relationships and communicate effectively
- Able to work safely and to not endanger yourself or others, following health and safety requirements to maintain a hazard free working environment
- Able to complete risk assessments with support of our H&S officer
- Able to work in a team with people of wide ranging ages and abilities
- A commitment to the aims and principles of Changing Lives, including a commitment to confidentiality and maintaining professional boundaries
- Basic IT skills
- Ability to use social media as a platform to advertise and sell items produced, all profits to go back into the project to purchase materials to enable it to be self sufficient
Project is open 5 days per week. Volunteering days and hours to be agreed at informal chat.
For more information, please contact Rebecca Tait – Volunteer and Peer Mentor Coordinator, E: Rebecca.Tait@nyhorizons.org.uk, M: 07923236567.
To apply please contact Sead Masic, Changing Lives, Unit D13, Marquis Court, 10th Avenue West, Team Valley, Gateshead, NE11 0RU. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org